BULUSAN, Sorsogon – A new tourist attraction unfolds in the town of Bulusan after the San Bernardino Island lighthouse which is the oldest in the province came to life anew when a solar light was installed replacing the 1000 watt bulb.
The lighthouse was first lit in 1896 using a lamp and a lantern as beacon to seafarers. It measured 38 feet in height and a focal plane height of 138 feet. This is the distance from the water surface to the center of the beam emitted by the lighthouse.
The replacement was undertaken by the Coast Guard part of Governor Chiz Escudero revival of century-old structures in the province.
According to Mayor Michael Guysayko the improvement of the lighthouse will lessen the risk of sea vessels running aground in the shallow part of the island at the same time restore the confidence of fisherfolks of the town.