February 25, 2024

Bicol Express News

Your Voice ● Your News ● One Nation

49 sick, one dead of cassava food poisoning in Camarines Sur

Photo by Boyet Habana

Some 49 persons in Magarao, Camarines Sur, got ill of food poisoning after eating processed mashed cassava, a Bicol food delicacy, known as “nilupak”.

A person died later after they were rushed to various hospitals in nearby Naga City.

The victims attended a birthday party on Thursday, October 6, at Barangay Carangcang, said Barangay chair Nenita Aspe.

Most of the victims are relatives who attended the birthday party.

Photo by Boyet Habana

One victim, Gilbert Cortezano, 35, died after suffering extreme abdominal pain.

Cassava, if not cooked well, is hazardous to ingest, whom food experts say has contents of cyanide.

Contrary to reports, a resident said the cassava delicacy was not cooked well when it was processed for food.

But, those involved in the kitchen work insisted the cassava was cooked well. The kitchen helpers were also victims of food poisoning.