In a fitting ceremony attended by Sorsogon Bishop Jose Alan Dialogo together with Governor Chiz Escudero and Deputy House Speaker Evelina Escudero, the Annunciation Parish Church in Bacon District, Sorsogon City better known as Bacon Church, the unveiling of its historical marker was a testament for the 1617 bamboo and nipa church originally constructed at Pinagsabunan.
The National Historical Commission beforehand received a proposal from the province for a historical marker of the church and the restoration of the bell tower.
Giving premium to the heritage of the province, the governor’s close coordination with the National Historical Commission of the Philippines refurbished the 404-year-old church by sprucing coral stone bell tower which was a casualty of a strong earthquake of the 1800s.
Originally part of Visita Casiguran by 1617 become a parish under the administration of Franciscan Fr. Antonio De San Francisco, a Franciscan with Nuestra Señora De Anunciacion as their Patroness in 1696.
By 1760 it was administered by the Recollects friars and returned to the administration of the Franciscan in 1768. By 1794 Fr. Pedro Licup, a secular priest took the administration of the parish. He was the first Filipino parish priest.
In 1811 the church was damaged by a typhoon and a temporary place of worship was constructed and the change to St. Rita of Cascia as its patron took place in 1835.
By 1852, the church was relocated to its present site 1852 and its former patroness Nuestra Señora De Anunciacion was re-instated in 1853 and by 1854 the construction of the new church started. The bell tower was constructed in 1885.