A 5-year old girl died after getting stung by a jellyfish at a north coastal village in Lagonoy, Camarines Sur.
According to reports, the child happily rushed to her father who was returning home after fishing offshore.
While the fisherman was tending the fishing net, the victim took a dip at the beach, where the jelly fish stung her.
When rushed to a hospital in Tinambac, the girl died.
An expert, Nonie Enolva of the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) Bicol said the poison from the jelly fish irritates the skin and can kill.
Enolva said jellyfish started spreading out during the warm season.
Folk remedies or rural practises advise to apply vinegar on the jellyfish and the affected skin to loosen the jellyfish from its hold, or to pour small amount of gasoline to the affected area.
Aside from the use of first aid, the best option is to bring the afflicted to the hospital for treatment.
Sorsogon Electric Coop services not deserving by members consumers
Journalist sworn-in as new director of Sorsogon electric coop
Public cautioned against illegal tourist promoters in Sorsogon